Saturday, February 28, 2015

Morality and Religions


Generally all religions believe in the same standard of morality (e.g. help each other, kindness, "do unto others as you want they do unto you", uphold justice, etc). They basically teach their followers to do good and forbid evil.  But many religions also often differ on some views of morality. For example, some ancient religion might believe in human sacrifice to their gods which is condemned by other religions. Some religion consider drinking alcohol is immoral but others might not. Some consider to show nakedness is immoral, others not. And many other examples.
So how does Islam perceive these differences?

Every soul originally has a built-in basic moral sense of right and wrong that has been given by God (91:7-10). But this feeling/sense might get corrupted by bad deeds (83:14).

God, with His mercy and love, sent down revelations since the time of the first human being (Adam) as guidance for mankind to live on earth (2:38, 2:213) to inform them where they are from, why they are here on earth, how to live their lives, and where they are going.

God sent prophets to all people, not just in to one part of the world (10:47,2:213, 40:78). Although their way of life (cultures and detailed rituals) might be different from one another, the message is the same: worship only God Almighty (21:25, 16:36, 22:67).

However some people corrupted the message from God and caused many to go astray from the original message (3:78, 2:78-79, 2:59, 5:13). God with His infinite wisdom sent down the Qur'an as the final reminder -hence its preservation till the end of days- for all people to restore the original God's message (5:48, 25:1, 3:3), holding the same message as previous message brought by all prophets of God (2:136, 22:78).

This is an Islamic perspective. Hope this helps. And God knows best.

[a response to a question below about morality and religions - nov 2007]
[ Salam alaikum,

Sorry to disturb you again, but I require your assisstance regarding a very important subject that has been lingering in my mind lately... it started when my mother said that "religion just tells people to do what is right and shun away what is wrong, I don't get into details of any religion since they all convey the same message anyway". After thinking about it I started wondering: "why any relgion in particular? Don't they all convey the same message of basically doing good? Why should I go to hell just because I don't carry a certain emblem and don't identify myself as a specific member of a faith?"

Please aid me in answering these questions and how can you achieve REAL belief and TRUE Iman and EXTREME fear of God... beforehand I just used to pray and follow Islam specifically (it wasn't blind faith, I knew why I was doing it and I was convinced, but I didn't FEEL IT IN MY HEART). I will be forever thankful if you can help me out!

Thank you for your time
Regards ]

No comments: